CLM Home     ALM Home     CLM Magazine Home     Blogs     Forum
Bringing Your Fiance(e) to the United States by Theodore Huang Esq.
If you are an American citizen and you want your Chinese fiancé(e) to travel to the United States to marry you and live in the U.S., you must file a petition. This petition is filed with the Department of Homeland Security's U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services USCIS (formerly known as the “INS”).
A fiancé(e) is a person who is engaged or contracted to be married. The person must be free to marry, having officially dissolved any previous marriages. The foreign fiancee must be prepared to provide proof that the previous marriages have now been officially terminated. The marriage must be legally possible according to laws of the state in the United States where the marriage will take place.
In general, for the Chinese fiance(e) to be eligible to obtain a fiance(e) visa, the two people must have met in person within the past two years. The USCIS grants some exceptions to this requirement. However, qualifying for these exceptions is extremely difficult. Contact my office to discuss your situation and determine whether you would qualify. For example, it may be contrary in some traditions for a man and woman to meet before marriage.
You must file the Petition for a foreign fiancé(e) with the USCIS office that has jurisdiction over the area where you live. You cannot file this petition at an embassy, consulate or U.S. immigration office abroad. After the USCIS approves the petition, it sends the petition to National Visa Center for processing. Thereafter, it’s sent to the U.S. Consulate General in Guangzhou. It is at the U.S. Consulate General in Guangzhou where your fiancée will apply for a K-1 nonimmigrant fiancee visa.
The entire process takes anywhere from 8 – 11 months as of June 8, 2009. Processing time depends on a number of factors such as where you live, how well you can document your case, the time during which your paperwork was submitted to the Consulate General. Given the length of time it takes to bring over your loved one, it is important that “all I’s be dotted, and T’s crossed” to avoid any further delay.
Ted Huang, Attorney for K1 and K3 Visas to America
Attorney Theodore Huang specializes in helping U.S./Chinese couples reunite in the U.S. Since 1997, he has helped numerous Chinese fiancées and spouses obtain K-1 and K-3 visas. For more information, he may be reached at 626-771-1078; his firm’s website is

From: Original         Author: Theodore Huang Esq.         Time: 3/5/2010 4:11:27 PM

Page: /0 1
No comment yet. Add your comment.
Page: /0 1
To respond to another member's comment type @ followed by their name before your comment, like this: @username Then leave a space.